Sunday, November 13, 2005

Change in plans

I was supposed to be on a plane today. Have been clinging to two free tickets for over a year now, and had decided this trip was the one worth spending it on. A flight out of this cold weather, to a warm place I'd never been, into the welcoming arms of a friend for a delicious week of relaxing and exploring and connecting.

Didn't happen. Some months ago that friendship tanked. A few weeks ago I canceled the tickets and paid a fine for the privilege which I guess means they really weren't free. Got back to the real world where wonderful delicious plans aren't part of life on Planet Peg.

Check that. This morning I awoke in the dark with my dog buddy breathing quietly by my side, got up and got the coffee started. It's been a working weekend as we prepare for a regulatory review that's part of operations every couple of years. Hard concentration kind of work but interspersed with Emma's companionable attentions and those incredible oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that Nancy makes.

Listened to the quiet from the rest of the house now that my mother has returned home. Went outside in the snow. Met the two new dogs next door (photos soon!), one of whom could be Courtney's sister. Heartstrings pulled there, but gently.

Put a few of those yummy cookies in a bag for Keith for a drive-by as I head to work. He answers the door and we set plans for O's fluids tonight so he will feel better soon. Get on the phone to Michele about dinner tonight since Chuck is still out of town. Send a few emails, catch up here and there. I'm working at the computer, Nancy's clearing some files away, there's the sound of the table saw from the workshop where John is building his beautiful wooden boat. Emma naps throughout.

Today is a breathtaking, clear winter day, work is challenging but the pace and the energy is easy, friends are woven through the day making it rich with warmth and moments of meaning. I thought perhaps I'd feel sad today but I'm just too content. Life is all about the changes in plans, and I'm checking out the airline schedules to choose another warm place I've never been.

No comments: