Sunday, July 03, 2005

Eastern girls vs midwestern girls

Nancy and I have had a protracted discussion about how much of her life's world view revolves around the emotional commerce of baking and delivery of chocolate chip cookies, and how much of mine...does not. This conversation is worth way more to me in the tears shed from laughter than any actual attempt to carry out her wish to use this device as part of my meeting a nice guy that she knows.

From that same wonderful midwestern perspective, Nancy once wrote a summary of me that makes me sound about as enticing as dating one's sister, if one's sister was a Boy Scout in good standing: "Loyal, funny, caring, loves animals, smart, hard working, thinks up really cool things, is very involved in the welfare of others.....a good human being that is worthwhile to know and relate to."

I can see now why you'd also need the cookie bribe.

She said she was raised that the way to a man's heart was through his stomach. I said... actually I said something so reprehensibly vulgar (even for me) that I should never have said it the first time let alone repeat it now.

Alas, we remain women separated by a culture barrier.

But she was absolutely right when she said I had to experience the concept firsthand in order to get a better understanding... She just put in front of me a glass of milk and two huge cookies that are hot from the oven.

I can't even describe what these are like. It rivals the inspiration that wrote the garlic poem.

But if I could produce something like this, why would I use it to interest a man when I could use it to rule the planet?

No comments: