Thursday, August 25, 2005

Truth in advertising

In midtown Anchorage particularly, most corners of the broad boulevards that cut north/south and east/west across the city are occupied by panhandlers who hold signs and approach vehicles through the long light changes that control traffic in anywhere from 8 to 12 lanes. I do not wish to sound skeptical here, nor without compassion, but I am so curious about the great signage these folks have. They may be hungry and homeless (or not - I don't actually know that), but how do they all have access to large pieces of sturdy cardboard and thick black markers to make really readable, correctly spelled signs? Is there like a Panhandlers Depot nearby that provides these materials so consistently? [Yes, I know that joke should be Homeless Depot but that seemed so MEAN.] Anyway, I am well beyond the bounds of good taste so I'll stop with that but it's not about me riffin' on these people, I'm just dying to know where they get their supplies. Plus I actually am a fan of one guy who has turned himself into a sandwich board with tiny-lettered signs containing social and political commentary, and when I'm stuck at Minnesota and Spenard through three light changes at 5:30 in the evening, I like having something that long to read, and I appreciate that he turns the page without being asked.

Today, however, I damn near made a contribution to the cause, when on my way home, an older gent walked along the stopped cars with a sign that read

WHY LIE
I NEED
A DRINK
HONEST

I'm with you, brother. Hand me that marker.

No comments: