Sunday, August 21, 2005

No place like home

I took the quiz at Find Your Spot a couple of years ago and just ran across it tonight in my bookmarks. Back in 2003, my top recommended places to live were mainly in Oregon, Colorado, and Utah, though my own Palmer, Alaska (still my hometown - I'm just camping in Anchorage) made the list.

Did the test again tonight and Colorado and Utah fell off the list. Palmer was #1 (!) and there were other Alaska towns. During the Long Haul Chicks Tour last year I'd said you could set me down in Bozeman or Missoula MT and I'd be at home...and both are on this list. This time last year I was relaxing on Lake Champlain for a week, and said that Vermont was the first place I'd ever been that felt exactly as much at home to me as Alaska, and that the Adirondacks on the drive up there were just wonderful...and here are Vermont and upstate New York on the list, including Plattsburgh right on the edge of that beautiful big lake. Bremerton, Sequim and Walla Walla are all places where my family members have lived. Not sure what got Morgantown, WV picked (hi, Denise) on the quiz, but it happens to be the town where my father was born.

I am not at all surprised by my very clear sense of place. I know when I belong somewhere. So where are your top spots, and will I be running into you soon? [Disclaimer that I should have thought to add when I first posted this - the site will ask you to identify yourself. Though they don't save this and they don't share it, and I've used the site a bunch of times and never heard one thing from them as a result, I should have mentioned it so that you don't spend the time completing the quiz up front and then balk at the end!...it's still fun though.]

My whole list: Palmer, AK - Wenatchee, WA - Seward, AK - Salem, OR - Lewiston, ME - Johnson, VT - Grants Pass, OR - Ketchikan, AK - Bremerton, WA - Homer-Kenai Peninsula, AK - Missoula, MT - Mount Vernon, WA - Plattsburgh, NY - Bozeman, MT - Jamestown, NY - Johnstown, PA (okay, so part of me wants to go back home!) - Walla Walla, WA - Dillon, MT - Helena, MT - Spearfish, SD - Sheridan, WY - Morgantown, WV - Sequim, WA - Saranac Lake, NY

No comments: