Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Jay Hammond, 1922-2005

I'm feeling terribly sad to learn of the death of one of Alaska's most respected and beloved elder statesmen, former governor Jay Hammond. It shouldn't come as any real surprise in a man of advanced years, and I realized my reaction was from such deep respect that it never actually occurred to me that he could die. I certainly will never be accused of my conservative politics, but no matter your view, there's no denying that both the history and the future of our young state were crafted in large measure by this man's conviction and determination to act always in our best interests. I treasure the kind note he wrote to me in one of his two autobiographies, "Tales of Alaska's Bush Rat Governor." He was funny and pragmatic and compassionate and wise, and he'll be so very much missed, as his powerful voice has resounded authoritatively in our public discourse for more than 20 years since he left the governor's mansion. The man had permanence about him and we weren't done needing him yet.

Anchorage Daily News: "State has lost a giant in Hammond," 8/3/2005

No comments: