Friday, May 12, 2006

Do not trifle with the Timekeepers

Hunter and I are settled in at Michele and Chuck's to stay with the baker's dozen until Monday night. I guess technically it's not a baker's dozen with Hunter included, unless you're counting only dogs (and Quincy the Cat says why would you count only the dogs?) It's been really good to see everyone again. I've written about this before but it's always just very soul-filling to see these dear furry friends, and I hope to get a round of new photos this weekend too.

We fell into bed very late on Wednesday night. I'd worked late at Nancy's so had arranged to come in a little later Thurs morning since it would be the first morning on the gang schedule (though really it's just not that big a deal). Neighborhood courtesy demands we rise no earlier than 6:45 to 7 am for noise abatement (though really the dogs are just not that noisy on first outs). I expected Hunter to get restless around 5 am or so since we are early risers at home every day of the week. He did. Then everyone else did. I kept looking at the clock and saying "You kids, we cannot get up this early." Bubba (largest of the large) did his usual morning greeting of Watch Me Squeeze Into Four Inches of Bed Space. Amber (smallest of the small) did her usual morning greeting of Play With Me But Don't Pick Me Up Or I'll Harm You Badly. But all of it was a good hour ahead of schedule. All the upstairs dogs were vulturing me, the downstairs dogs were rumbling and thumping ominously, which generally means WE ALL HAVE TO PEE AND YOU WILL BE SORRY. I kept thinking what in the world is going on - this is the exact morning routine, but the timing is way off.

Finally I heard Lexi (oldest of the old) begin to whimper a little. Well, we can't ever allow that. So up we got at 6:30, and we tiptoed as well as 54 feet can tiptoe, and began the day early.

Until another hour or so went by and it became evident that the TV was an hour ahead. And so was my cell phone. And so was the computer. In fact, the only clock that was wrong was in the bedroom - still set back an hour from the spring time change. I will never doubt the reliability of the real clocks again.

No comments: