Sunday, April 30, 2006

Watch that throttle, buddy

Keith is headed back home from Indiana, having flown down a few weeks ago, and now driving back in his new-to-him black Jaguar formerly owned by his cousin. Alcan + Jaguar = Uncertainty At The Very Least, if you ask me, but part of me (okay, all of me) is envious. When I think of cruising large sections of Alberta at 110 mph in a 4-speed Tercel (um, this is a theoretical model; that is, I mean, if one chose to do that in one's 4-speed Tercel...in the fall of 2003 and again in the fall of 2004...hypothetically speaking) it's just breaking my heart to think of missing out on a restrained 160 mph in a Jag. Hypothetically.

But the real point of this post is that as an amateur radio operator, he's set up for tracking on the FindU system and this has just been a lot of fun for me today as he left there in the afternoon local time. Since I didn't think to ask for his permission, I won't post his actual tracking URL here, but the repeaters pick him up and the data gets posted with position (relative to a city point), heading and speed. [At this moment it's 3.7 miles southwest of Boonville, MO --- Report received 5 seconds ago Course: 270.0 Speed: 72.5 MPH] The accompanying Google map output is as a map, satellite image, or satellite/map hybrid. Sadly, the map marker itself is a little red jalopy that also happens to be pointed east, but I guess you can't have everything. Anyway, I think it's a cool system. Although I think FindU will only report positions in the U.S., so I won't get to cruise Alberta even virtually and vicariously. Sigh.

No comments: