Saturday, April 01, 2006

A wake for Jude

[Updated: Sorry that I forgot to give the timing of the toast for those who wish to join virtually. That's at 7:30 pm AKST (11:30pm EST) tonight. L'chaim.]

I am lifting a glass (and more) for my friend Jude who died this week. She was an extraordinary force in the world of senior-dog rescue. Surely her name befit this most hopeless of hopeless causes, but she turned those bleak stories into happy endings for so many dogs who lived their final years with dignity and love because she intervened.

She was a tireless mentor through all the years I ran the Canine Underground Railroad. She was in the trusted inner circle who helped me navigate how to do rescue with integrity when it's mostly among people you've never seen. When one or the other of us went beyond our ability to be rational and pragmatic in this work of the heart, the passion and frustration led us to some memorable arguments.

She rescued me too, more than once. In small ways through the years. When I left my longterm relationship for the second and last time and moved into my little woods cabin with Diva and Courtney and little else, I comforted myself every evening in the soft afghan wrap that she sent me because she knew I would need to be held. When I left Alaska some years ago and drove East, I pushed myself beyond physical limits, driving like hell with my eye on Calgary, to safety and rest in the heart of an old friend I'd never yet met in person. She put me up in a hotel, pampered me incredibly, and we spent a gorgeous autumn weekend exploring the city. Just like with every old, tired, broken-down dog, she fed me, rested me, filled me with love and then launched me to my life's next chapter.

As I've considered these last several days how to (or even whether to) discuss this event here, I've thought that what needs to be remembered is the impact she's had on my life. This week that impact is that yesterday morning I gave notice to quit one of my jobs. Something that Jude and I had in common were some parallel tracks in terms of life struggles - financial, medical, personal - we've known a lot of that in our lives. Shoulder blades sore from backs constantly against the wall.

I am still here. And yesterday I took the next step to make my life better, because of my beautiful friend who loved me and who I loved.


Two toasts from Jude:

Date: May 8, 2000
From: Jude Fine
To: Peg Banks
Subject: Thought for the day
Everyone can master a grief
But he that has it.
- William Shakespeare
xoxo
Jude
---
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002
From: Jude
To: Peg
Subject: Ya know ....
if the kindness stopped right here, right now, today, it would still be awesome, and incredible, and life-transforming ... just so you know that....
---We do know it, Jude. We really, really do.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peg, thank you for this loving tribute to someone who was a friend to me and to so many others. She truly did champion what seemed like hopeless cases and never wavered in what she believed to be the truth. I cherish her memories too. She will be missed very much. She was a very special spirit and friend on this earth who touched so many other lives in so many ways.

Crowzma said...

Some lives are too large to be held in a few words. Some love with a love so encompassing it reaches across miles and holds you in its arms. I never had to be closer than the other side of the continent to know.

Jude, wherever you are, you were and are one of the stars in my sky.

Anonymous said...

Peg, thank you so much for sharing these personal memories with all of us, some who were never blessed to actually meet Jude in person, as well as those who were. She was always so helpful and kind to me when I posted about dogs in need. She jumped right in when I posted about two labs in trouble up in Washington state a couple years ago. Donna tells me the male is living a wonderful life in Seattle now and the other lab, Luna, is also in a fabulous home as well, I'm sure. She never failed to amaze me. I remember her fondly and with much love. She will be missed by all of the animals and her friends and family. May she be at peace now and in God's care. I'm sure she was welcomed by hundreds of animals at the Bridge who were waiting for her.
Patty Taylor
Lincoln, NE
www.NebraskaAnimalRescue.org and
www.GRRIN.org (Golden Retriever Rescue in Nebraska)

Anonymous said...

I will always remember Jude as someone who was always willing to help, no matter what. If there was a dog in need (or a person), Jude was there.

The world is a better place because of her and she is going to be sorely missed.

Genie Heist
Stationmaster #517

Anonymous said...

Jude was such a credit to dog rescue in general and so invaluable for help with Senior dogs especially. She helped me numerous times over the years, with senior dogs and with advice about flying dogs in Canada.

I was so sad to read about her passing - she was truely one of the great ones.

jan hilborn
National English Shepherd Rescue

Anonymous said...

Although we never met in person, I and the dogs who were helped by Jude will be eternally grateful.

Farewell, Jude.

Vicki Bockes
Eugene, OR

A poem for you:

And if I go while you’re still here.....

Know that I still live on,
Vibrating to a different measure
behind a thin veil you cannot see through.

You will not see me
so you must have faith.

I wait the time we can soar together again,
both aware of each other.

Until then, live your life to the fullest.
And when you need me,
just whisper my name in your heart

................I will be there.

-Colleen Hitchcock

Peg said...

Welcome, especially CUR friends whom I haven't seen in a while.

I am looking in some of my Wayback email, thinking I'd choose a nice post of Jude's to share, one of those special stories.

I click on her name and a list of 492 messages appears.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting about her, Peg. I'm too numb to write much of anything, but I wanted to chime in during her "wake."

Jude, you're missed already. What a glorious reunion there must have been at the Bridge.

Tam

Anonymous said...

I missed the toast last evening, but will gladly lift a mug of coffee to Jude this morning as I think back on the "conversations" we had by email.

You will be so deeply missed here, Jude, but the reunion at the bridge has to have been heavenly for you and the dogs that met you there.

Until we meet at the bridge...much love,

Penny

Anonymous said...

Many, many years ago when we had our first rescue dog and he was about
13 he started exhibiting a lot of very annoying behaviors. Neither my
husband nor I knew that much about senior dogs (actually when we got him
at 5 weeks we didn't know as much about dogs as we thought we did!).
Jude was a wonderful source of practical information and provided us
with great strategies for handling the old guy. I will be forever
grateful for her support and advice.Her sense of humour and compassion
kept us going. He lived another two years and we learned to love his
eccentricities thanks to Jude Fine.

Sharon McKeil

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I missed the toast last night. Jude had such a special way to make you feel like you were her best friend in the world. Now she is reunited with her special doberperson Mouse.

denise and assorted springers

Anonymous said...

Jude I have blown out the candle, eaten more sugar than even I thought I could and am wishing you the love and comfort you have given to us all over the years.

Run fast, leap high and enjoy the peace and freedom of your new plane. I will miss you forever. Namaste'!

Anonymous said...

I missed the toast to Judy by a day , but I still want to say good buy to Jude. We never met in person, but we have been in contact over the years and one time stands out in my mind - it is a shining candle of commpassionate love to an old dog from Barriere BC.
Digger was a nondescript old fellow - owned by a drunk, handed over to a mentally ill person and was near death when I began looking after him - and begged Jude to help. It was in the middle of witner when we shipped 'Digger' by plane to Calgary - his fare was paid by our SPCA shelter manager - and off he went.
He arrived in a blizzrd - but Jude picked him up - and eventually found him a wonderful home - she wrote to me when he passed over the Rainbow Bridge - after having had a time of love and comford from Jude and from the Guardians she found for him.
It is with love and sadness that I say farwell to Jude - she will be united with all the 'old ones' that have preceded her accross the Rainbow Bridge.
Elli Kohnert
Barriere BC

Anonymous said...

The world has lost a wonderful person and the animals have lost one of their most devoted advocates.

What a glorious reunion it must have been at Rainbow Bridge.

I proudly raise a toast to my friend, Jude Fine.

Jacki Hadra,
IMOM Founder

Anonymous said...

A truly great lady of Rescue in Canada has passed away. Despite terrible physical, medical and financial burdens, Jude Fine has always been a beacon of hope in the rescue scene in Canada for many years. It was over ten years ago that she guided OCR through our first cross continent rescue and always since then, I knew if I came up against a problem that was stumping me, Jude would be the person to ask. She was a true expert in all facets of canine rescue and had a heart as big as could be for the truly needy dogs of our country, the abandoned seniors.
Now that she is gone rescue world will truly miss her. She was a very special lady.

There must be true joy at the rainbow bridge just now.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

I will pledge extra special care for our senior rescues in memory and respect for Jude.

Sadly, Janet

Okanagan Collie Rescue

Knatolee said...

Here's to Jude, a good woman and a friend to animals!

Knatolee said...

And I should add for this wake that Jude helped get my cat Zoe from Seattle to Toronto. Zoe was just a kitten then. She spent a night or two at Jude's enroute to T.O., and then Jude's BOSS brought Zoe to Toronto on a business flight. Zoe was his carry-on luggage!! I thought she had a great boss, but I also thought her boss must have thought a lot of Jude to do that for her, fly a kitten from Calgary to Toronto, then hand her off to a stranger (my husband.)

Natalie

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to have known Jude.She was inspirational,and the most unselfish person I have ever known...an angel,here for too short a time...we will all miss her,and will see her again at the bridge...she is finally at peace,and with her babies...her legacy will live on..Jude,Romeo loves you...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for providing a place for us to mourn, celebrate and remember with great love and respect, our rescue angel and friend, Jude. May we gain strength and courage from your example, Jude, and carry on your good work. We will always remember you, and we will always miss you.