Monday, December 12, 2005

Movie: Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

So I've been reading some grumpy reviews of Disney's let's-put on-an-epic, ripping on whether the talking beavers are adequately believable and how the sets are a faint imitation of Peter Jackson's vision of Lord of the Rings, etc. etc. etc. To which I say just take that witch's ice spear out of your, um, chest already and become human again because this is a captivating movie.

And can I say how charming to have sat through a PG movie for the first time in a while. I found that I could do quite nicely with all those battle scenes devoid of actual heads rolling. As far as the quality of the CG effects, I can't see what the complaining is about. It is what it is and if you compare it to the BBC miniseries which I loved but was truly abysmal for effects (now those were scary 5-foot beavers!), well, there is no comparison. I'm split about 50-50 on the casting of the kids, thought Lucy (wonderful!) and Susan were just as I pictured them in reading these books, Edmund somewhat less so (though his misery is portrayed palpably), and Peter unfortunately quite forgettable.

But James MacAvoy's rendering of Tumnus the Faun changed my whole view, adding so much depth to what I've always thought was an endearing but largely one-dimensional character. And how I cried at Aslan's humiliation and death even though I knew that was not the end, and I completely forgot that was Liam Neeson's voice too.

Setting this production apart in my view is Tilda Swinton's portrayal of the White Witch. The BBC miniseries' witch was dark and imposing, while Swinton is born from the ice. Even her rage is frozen and distant. I can't imagine anyone eclipsing what she did with this role.

There are certainly many bumps here and there - like how these children seem remarkably impervious to cold and snow, products of a good English upbringing no doubt. And C.S. Lewis' story in many places is not an adequate guide for a film - the epic battle scene occupies only a few pages in the book, and depends on the reader's imagination to fill in the gaps. In bringing that vision to life, this film beautifully succeeds. I can't wait for the next chapter, when Prince Caspian comes to the screen.

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

I'm with you on this one, Peg. These books were some of my very favorites when I was a kid, and I think the movie does the first book justice. Thing 1 and I both enjoyed it a lot, and we're also looking forward to Prince Caspian. And I agree-Tilda Swinton was perfect, Lucy was delightful, and Peter was blah.