Saturday, December 31, 2005

"A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind..."

I am sipping champagne and enjoying the hell out of the Sci-Fi Channel's marathon of The Twilight Zone, which I think is playing from now until like forever - at least as far ahead into tomorrow evening as my dish guide will go. Thing about this series is that some eps are so well known to me that I can practically recite the dialogue, and others I've still not ever seen before and I wonder how can that be when I've been watching this for 40 years?!?!?

Didn't even know the marathon was on until Keith mentioned it today on the phone, I flipped on the tube and there was Robert Redford circa 1962, as the young injured cop who turns out to be a gentle angel of death in the episode "Nothing in the Dark." I'm so wishing I didn't have so much work to do otherwise I'd be glued to the set until it ends, but it's been fun to have it on in the background and seeing these iconic actors in their youth. Mickey Rooney's one-man episode as a horse jockey accused of race fixing. An almost silent Leonard Nimoy as nothing more than background behind a very young Dean Stockwell in a battle at Corregidor...followed immediately by that incredibly stupid William Shatner episode with the creature on the jet wing...wonder if they planned it like that.

Burgess Meredith, Martin Balsam, John Carradine, Cliff Robertson, Dennis Hopper, Charles Bronson, Mariette Hartley, Elizabeth Montgomery, Cloris Leachman, Buster Keaton, Martin Landau, Patrick MacNee (oh gosh, I about fell over at James Franciscus as a young ship's officer in WWII) ....... everybody was in this series! I think it went downhill in later seasons with the hour-long format and just... I don't know, something about it growing up and becoming a little more modern or something. It began to lose the quality of stageplay-on-film that is what I enjoy about it so much.

Fireworks are starting early over on the bluff by Earthquake Park and I can see them clearly from my chair. Will even be able to see the big downtown display from my bedroom window, just because of the lay of the land as the city curves around the bluff - I'm out here in west Anchorage but it's just a little way across the water from downtown. We have first-class tickets!

No comments: