Saturday, December 31, 2005

Military Mad Libs

Hunter and I went out on the trails north of Anchorage today for a long walk. Not exactly wilderness hiking - these are paved trails that run along the six lane highway as it cuts through Fort Richardson. But I like walking out there in the winter because even in the ice and snow, it's relatively flat for good footing, and while there's busy traffic just 100 yards away, the landbelt is broad so it's easy to spot moose - some of it is even moose-fenced. Anchorage, a Top Trail Town USA, has over 100 miles of paved trails and 300 miles of unpaved or wilderness trails, and these particular avenues can take walkers and bikers almost 25 miles north of town, to right by my old house in Chugiak.

We didn't go that far today. Just got a nice leg-stretching on a grayish day. Close enough, however, to observe the signs posted along the boundary. I guess the military's penchant for paint has not extended to these particular signs in a while, as it appears that what were very large bright letters top and bottom (I assume of the Achtung! variety) are no longer legible. The remaining letters in strong black read

U.S. ARMY INSTALLATION
-----
TRESPASSERS WILL BE


which is actually a little more ominous now that I think about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trespassers will be

Tickled until they reveal the location of the Keebler Elves' Weapons of Mass Deliciousness

Peg said...

Wow, Mo, I am not sure I can top that one! Trespassers will be...

no, I really can't top that one! Knatolee will have to do it!