Saturday, October 08, 2005

Ducks on Jupiter

I've tried to declare this as a mostly-off-weekend. I spent about six hours of today out in the woods walking and letterboxing. First, Hunter and I explored a part of the Coastal Trail that begins downtown. Part of the recently completed Anchorage Light Speed Planet Walk was along our route, as Jupiter lies just beyond the waterfowl preserve at Westchester Lagoon. Not too many people out on this crisp fall day. Hunter and I have been so off our walking schedule, it felt good to go without breaking stride for over an hour. After that, he went home to nap while I drove on out to Thunderbird Falls to finally snag the letterbox that has eluded me on previous trips, up toward Eklutna Lake for another letterbox. Then back to Anchorage and on south of town to work letterbox clues on the Potter Creek trail system. By late afternoon the sun was bright on what gold leaves still cling to the trees, and the air was so chilly. I want to take Hunter back down on that trail system with its breathtaking views of the incoming tide on Turnagain Arm. All told I walked a good four hours today and I really needed it so much. Have been thinking of how I could place letterboxes at all stations of the Planet Walk, but the downtown locations would be pretty tough placements to maintain in such a public urban setting.

1 comment:

Knatolee said...

I misread that and thought it said "Dicks on Jupiter" and got all excited for a minute. I do have a very powerful telescope ya know. I thought I might see more than just the red spot for a change.