Saturday, October 01, 2005

Creature comforts

This gorgeous quilt made by Jan Wills was the big winner at FOP's quilt auction this weekend. It's just beyond description in its beauty, its color, and its technical precision, with each frame a different classic quilt design. And Jan is such a lovely lady, who's made quilts for us year on year, many of them just stunners.

The night before as we were setting up the auction, I had called my boss Deeta and told her she really needed this quilt - the black cat in each frame reminded me so much of DC, and it also had Deeta's colors in it, in all those variegated greens and purples. During the auction, I took a chance on bidding up someone who I was pretty sure would want the quilt, but then I got left hanging at $700-which-I-didn't-have. But I made my peace with it - figured at least I'd have one of the most beautiful things ever shown in our auction's nine years. (And it would have been cheap at double the price.) And so I waited.

Then Kari came along, and did a very kind thing and bumped the bid to $725 to rescue me... Then after the auction closed, Deeta finally showed up, and she bought it from Kari.... So everything turned out as it should, and I can probably even visit the quilt.

The one I got was one I really wanted - one of three first-quilts created by a local Girl Scout troop. These little girls aged 8-10 did a fine job, and the first time I held this one I wanted it because it's heavy felty flannel and just so darned cuddly, and a nice size for snuggling on the sofa. I wanted it in order to use it, and use it I shall (and already have). For a tenth of the price of the other one, it will mean just as much to me. Tonight when it was time to come to bed, Hunter didn't come up, and I found him on the sofa snuggled up in it too.

2 comments:

Crowzma said...

Oh!! How snuggly and cozy and perfect! Glad you got it. Glad you weren't left hanging for $700.

Knatolee said...

Oh my, the cat quilt is GORGEOUS!!! And I love the flannel rag quilt you bought. I made one of those for our friend Phyllis. THey are so damn cuddy! I love that the GIrl Scouts made yours.

Next year, I PROMISE I'll send you a quilt of some description!