Thursday, July 27, 2006

Shake her but don't wake her

(backdated entry)

About 5:15 this morning we had a very strongly felt earthquake - one of the largest I've personally felt in terms of it being close and very shallow. It wasn't like the deep world far below was moving, more like someone had set a giant eggbeater loose.

I was so bone-exhausted from staying up half the night working every night this week that my reaction was less than textbook. I was lying on my stomach and felt the bedsprings sproinging as though someone were standing against the bed shaking it sideways. A moment later it occurred to me that I sleep on an oak platform bed, so I tried to revise my understanding of what was going on. Hunter had exited the bedroom like cannon shot, but as the jostling went on and I heard something shift or fall (not heavily) in the next room, I really really tried to make myself care but I wanted soooooo much to go back to sleep. I just rode it out to see what would happen but I didn't even change position or lift my head (the pillow felt soooo good). I learned later that it was a 5.1 quake (yow!) centered five miles east of us (yow again!). I promise next time I will try harder to keep my eyes open.

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

I once was woken up by a quake, but I assumed it was just Billie getting on or off the bed and went back to sleep. Found out the next morning it hadn't been Billie (who, near as I can tell, didn't react at all). As I recall, that one was a 4.something. I think Ruthie getting on or off the bed would feel more like a 5.something, which is why she's not allowed.