Thursday, March 02, 2006

My day in court

So yesterday turned out to be hell on wheels - critical month-end tasks for one job, major public relations event for the other job, and in the middle of it a summons to court. I would not want to know what my blood pressure was once I went past red-faced and heaving, into white and lacking feeling in my extremities....

But it was interesting to listen to the cases being argued ahead of mine. My cop was involved in those prior cases so I knew he was going to be there for mine - a big relief when he hadn't returned my phone call and the other witness had vanished too. Anyway, we prevailed and she was found guilty, 4 pts on license and $90 fine +$10 fee. Fine/fee suspended if she takes a defensive driving class by May 1. This would also reduce the points from 4 to 2.

I went on Courtwatch and researched her traffic offenses (eight including this one). Alaska's limit is 12 pts in 12 months, or 18 pts in 24 months. (which is scary when you think of how dangerous that allows people to be and still be valid) Her offenses in the last year are:

6/1/2005 - Speeding 10-19 mph over - 4 points, $152 fine
6/1/2005 - Driving without proof of insurance - fine, no points
6/23/2005 - Speeding in a school zone 10-19 mph over - 6 points, $154 fine
1/31/2006 - Failing to yield and hitting Peg - 4 points, $90 fine

So that's 14 points in eight months, and the 2 point credit won't help her avoid a license suspension. Of course one of her prior offenses is driving without a valid operator's license, so the roads are no safer as a result.

No comments: