Monday, January 01, 2007

A shooting star

Laura died a few minutes after midnight. She was so vibrant and impossibly beautiful; despite my heartbreak I am glad to know she is released from the prison of a wrecked body. I find that four years of preparing for this doesn't prepare you at all. Michele, who always has something genuine and perfect to say in moments of deep grief, shared this poem with me today.

God's Lovely Likeness

I know that where you are, God is
Since he is everywhere
And being everywhere, he is where I am too
And since you and I are ever in God's presence
We can never be apart
Apart from Him or apart from all He is
To know this brings comfort where sadness otherwise would rule
So when sorrow would steal away my peace,
I give up what I cannot keep
To cherish and rejoice over what I cannot lose
With this, the stillness all about me comes to life
With sweet assurance that God's lovely likeness--whom I have known as you--
Is here and now,
Just as you have ever been.

6 comments:

Southern Latitudes said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing though. It is hard sometimes for me to stop praying for somebody who has been on my prayer list for so long. This is the same Laura that had a baby a few years back, right?

Anonymous said...

Peg, I'm so terribly sorry. I didn't know Laura, but she must have touched many people with her beautiful spirit. My deepest condolences to you and to all of her friends and family.

Genny

Peg said...

Yes, Robin... Laura's sarcoma was discovered and her initial mastectomy performed while Alexa was still in utero. She turned four this past fall.

Crowzma said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Peg. I'm so sorry... pm

Knatolee said...

It's a tragedy ... how sad for Laura, her family, all who loved her. I'm sending gentle thoughts up north, and zen.

Nat