Sunday, June 11, 2006

Movie: The Da Vinci Code

I'm one of the two people in the country who hasn't yet read this book, though I have carried a copy around with me for months now. So there was no letdown for me at all in this story (and I'm told that the book will still be a great read even with the 'secrets' revealed, since the book is just, well, great). I was engrossed in the visuals and the performances and the deep motivations of the characters, and the time just flew by. I could have sat through it all over again on the spot.

So the only thing I have to say is that everyone who is engaged in such Deep Spiritual Conversation on this movie should just...go take a nap. I am utterly baffled that there is such strife over this story. It's a STORY. I didn't see the church or the Opus Dei or the Priory or anyone else involved as the good guys or the bad guys, but all deeply conscientious in their opposite motives. Admirably so, all of them. When I think of how many sermons are being preached on the impact of this novel, I really just find myself wishing there was a thimble-full of debate on the other 95% of movies that are deeply destructive and undermining of human and spiritual values but to which no church or creed would bother to blink an eyelash.

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

I'm the other person who hasn't read the book. And I haven't seen the movie yet, either!

Crowzma said...

I read that book. Nice enough, but I wouldn't call it "great." If there hadn't been such a flap about it, I wonder if it would have made much of a blip on the radar of all the novels that pass through my hands. Its sequel, Angels and Demons, was nowhere near as good.

I'd like to see the movie.

And I agree. Years ago, when I was in communication with Ali, in Turkey, I not only read Satanic Verses, but shipped him a copy (at his request,) his ownership of which could literally have cost him his head. I was stunned - it's a STORY - a FICTION - a vast creative "what if" supposition!! Imagine my amusement at seeing the Catholic and Christian world is a comparable fuss over DaV Code. Ok. They haven't called for his head or driven Brown into exile, but I imagine some of them wish they could.