Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hunter's recovery, and Emma & The Evil Hat

Seems like it will take a while to catch up the journal (getting started on the Kenai Peninsula trip finally tonight - first entry on that is on Sept 17). Hunter is improving every day - his hair is growing back, thinly, but enough that now his backside looks merely afflicted with butt-pattern baldness instead of the technicolor baboon. I continue to veto the taking of photos - this chapter can go without documentation. Our friend Kapi in Vermont sent him a package of his very favorite treat - Icelandic Fish Skins - and tonight he swooned over one of them. (He also points out I could have brought him about 400 dead salmon from my Kenai trip, but this will do.)

The last few weeks have just been so out of control, with work, volunteering, family issues, health and other concerns - my whole schedule is out of whack. Hunter and I have barely gotten any walks in for weeks, I've gained ten pounds and am constantly feeling the need to get a grip, to reorder the world and get back to the things that restore me daily. Soon, soon...

...and something else soon is that Emma will be back to visit with us, the third week of October. She is such a joy. On her last visit recently, she modeled one of Phyllis's knit hats that she kindly donated for FOP's quilt auction this Saturday. This is evidently a hat with evil powers. As you can see, before the hat, Emma is a lovely, petite golden retriever enjoying her bed privileges at my house:

Upon donning the hat, she (1) shrinks, (2) suffers nearsightedness, and (3) becomes paralyzed.


Hat off, normal. Hat on, paralysis. Because of my dedication as a tireless and humane advocate for the protection of companion animals, I only played this game for my own entertainment for ten minutes or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cooper finds that supposedly innocuous head halters such as Gentle Leaders and Halti's bring on immediate paralysis to his entire body except his eyeballs, and even they seem to have limited movement. It's quite a tragic thing to witness, but sometimes it must be witnessed.

Knatolee said...

Oh my, what an incredible cutie. I love her with the Phyllis-hat! And she's a good girl to put up with your torture.

And Peg, I didn't get that quilt bound in time but I PROMISE it's your for next year!! I had intended it for you all along.