Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Props to Honda

That good old-fashioned American company (cof), for this display of evident interest in customer satisfaction yesterday...

Background: Last week, I got my months-long broken driver's door lock fixed ($2.79 part, $79 labor) after this goading by a fake gift certificate that Kari made for my birthday, with my photo, a birthday message, and such fine print as

- Authorized by the Nag who is tired of watching you crawl through the passenger door
- Not redeemable for cash or any other favors you may think you want
- Expires in the distant future if you don't get off your ass

The gift certificate was so entertaining that I paid for the repair myself. When I picked up the car, I realized later that the stereo didn't work and was flashing an ominous demand for a code I didn't have. Took me a while thru the owner's manual (which I also didn't have, but bought one) to determine this is part of the anti-theft system. I had no idea my car was this technical; I prefer to think the world is still back on the Chevy station wagon 3-on-the-column that I first learned to drive hmmpty-hmmp years ago.

Yesterday I checked the Honda website and it says talk to the local dealer. I call the local dealer and they tell me it'll cost $100 for them to pull out the stereo to get the serial number to track down the code. I object. The gal says the original dealer would have this info, and I think okay, I got a Carfax last year when I bought this thing used, so it probably will have that dealer on it. I hang up.

Then I think no, I'm not at home, I don't want to go digging through paperwork, I just want this fixed. So I call national customer service. They answer on the second ring, I tell them my problem, they ask me for the VIN and for the label code inside the glove box, retrieve the code I need and tell me for my protection they are revising it, ask me to fax my license and registration to them, then call me back to give me the code over the phone and at no charge. The whole thing took maybe ten minutes and cost me nothing. I like it!

5 comments:

Miss Athenry said...

PHEW!! for a second there I thought a beautiful car stereo would go to waste...

Peg said...

....thanks, D, though I know your concern is only motivated from your hope to inherit that stereo along with the car that surrounds it... -Aunt Peg

Crowzma said...

Impressed. Very impressed. Are you interested in a job as my personal assisant-slash-legal advocate?

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful when things actually work like they're supposed to?

Southern Latitudes said...

*THIS* is why I don't like dealerships. I am so happy that you beat the system. Like Ginny, I am impressed, but then again, I'm always impressed by you. :o)