Sunday, January 01, 2006

In Santa's sack

You know I'm just not a big lover of "things" generally, have had to travel light much of my life and find I prefer it that way. So the things that I really cherish are the things that come to me from the heart of the giver, however large or small. Things with meaning and sentiment and reason behind them. It was fun to have some unexpected packages in the last week's mail, and I'm sharing just a few of the surprises here.

This adorable doggie-bank was from my boss Deeta, who didn't know I have been looking for the perfect piggy bank for a while. (Just as I didn't know she'd been agonizing over a perfect scarf, which I had already bought for her back in October at the quilt auction and saved until Christmas.) I love that his little spots are pawprints, and the daisy-spot around his eye. (If you're in Anchorage, she got this at the Providence gift shop, of all places, and they have blue kitties too!) He barks when you put money in him but that's his only bad habit. The color is distorted by the flash in this pic, he's actually a lovely dark magenta with very pale pink accents.

In a box chock-full of several surprises from Lenette were a "Mutts" compendium book and this print of Patrick McDonnell's "Peace to All Beings". "Mutts" is my favorite comic for the way it makes the animals into fully dimensional characters, and for its underlying sense of respect for life. I also respect him for all the attention he brings to the needs of homeless animals - he's a constant, visible advocate - so this is a real treasure. Looking forward to choosing a frame for this.

As I am with this adorable print from Suzy Toronto's "Wonderful Wacky Women" series, this one called "She Who is a Survivor." There's a poem on the back that reads:

Lemons to lemonade,
This woman is a survivor.
When opportunity knocks,
It sometimes knocks her down.
But this woman never
Lets it get her down for long.
Whether it be relationships,
Her health or professional life,
Her reservoir of love and faith
Emerges as a triumphant shining example.
She is a woman who truly knows the value of
Family, friendship, and the gift of time.
Laying aside all judgment
And giving unconditional love.

Sounds like a woman I'd like to be. But it gets better... Genny, who sent this (along with Icelandic Fish Skins for Hunter, which in this house is the equivalent of doggie crack, and several other things) has only just told me tonight that she is leaving an empty marriage of 19 years and taking her life back. How courageous! It invests this little gift with such power and purpose and inspiration that crosses many thousands of miles and years of experience, and challenges me to live up to the words and the intent, and dance with possibility. And maybe in that dress too.

1 comment:

Knatolee said...

Awesome prezzies, Peg. I am quite jealous!