Friday, November 05, 2004

We have our landing spot for now

I rented a house today and we move in on the 20th. It's a small, zero lot line home on a quiet street not far from where we're currently housesitting. Although I never wanted to live in the city, this area is where I feel most comfortable. It's a good location in terms of just trying to pull myself in, conserve and be small... It's just .8 mi to Kari & Dirk's house, 1.4 mi to Keith's, 2 mi to the large parkland area where we walk daily, 2.5 mi to the FOP office and 3.5 mi to work. The young woman who owns it has just bought and moved into the house next door, and done a lot of work on this place to retain as an investment property. Everything is new inside - new sheetrock, new carpeting upstairs and new wood and tile floors downstairs, new kitchen appliances, new bathroom tile and fixtures. It's just plain NEW and she did all that herself. It has a fenced backyard with a little berry patch and a garden spot (well, it's -5 degrees here tonight and we had sixteen inches of snow this week, so the garden spot is theoretical). There is a lighted, newly carpeted 4-foot crawl space under the whole house so plenty of storage.

It's small, but the floor plan is open and sunny with large southern exposure windows. I've had a stressful time with this decision, scared because it's way more than I wanted to pay and it will be a tough stretch. However, I have work opportunities in a second job if it turns out that I need it to make the rent. But it's good for Hunter and I know it will be good for my mom to feel secure and comfortable when she comes to spend the next several months here. And the two of them are why I decided to do it. A lot of work remains for me to get all my stuff that's scattered here and there over 50 mi, move in, and then figure out what else needs doing.

No comments: