Sunday, October 28, 2007

Piper's progress

I know I've said virtually nothing about how we've been getting along. She's been on Prozac the last three months and I think it has helped her anxiety a little, though she's still extremely reactive and very vocal (with nerve-jangling shrillness and with ear-piercing volume). She had seven teeth cut out of her head this summer, and it was a painful recovery. A couple of others are iffy, as the bone loss in her jaw continues. She's lost a much-needed 18 pounds by doing it the hard slow way, and still cries hysterically at mealtimes. I know just how she feels.


She's a real pain in the neck, frankly, and I suspect that my karmic reward for taking in this old abandoned girl will be as one of our clients yesterday predicted, that she will turn out to be the world's first 30-year-old German shepherd dog and I will never be rid of this short-term obligation. So she lives her life each day without ever getting enough to eat, and I live my life each day without ever getting enough silence to sleep. We are stuck with each other and that's just the way it is when you're family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The angels are smiling on you both since, challenging though it is, I suspect neither of you can imagine life any other way. Piper looks fabulous! Can relate to that girl's food thing but how impressive that she's down 18#! Good mamas are hard to find -- bless your heart! pm

Southern Latitudes said...

She is beautiful in orange.

Happy Halloween (belated)